Sunday, September 28, 2008

1985-1989: College Years At Wilkes University

After graduating from Smithtown East, I attended Wilkes University as a Music Education Major. There, I studied sax with William Gaspbarro (who unfortunately past away the summer between freshman and sophomore year) and Tom Heinze.

A significant part of my education at Wilkes, though was provided by voice teacher and ultimate friend Richard Chapline who I will profile at a later time. I learned to sing fairly well because of him and did more vocal recitals than sax recitals, in the end.

Here are excerpts from my senior recital (1989).

BOZZA: ARIA


DEBUSSY: RHAPSODIE for ALTO SAXOPHONE and PIANO



FAURE: PAVANE
(My own arrangement-Katie Ettinger is playing flute)


MACDOWELL: TO A WILD ROSE
(My arrangement again. Katie again)


This was the "encore".